Welcome to iMetochoi's Blog

The Journey of Earnestly Seeking to Become a Partaker of Christ

Monday, November 2, 2009

So, What Can We Do?

This question came up at the latest Free Grace Alliance Conference in Dallas, Texas in October. We had just spent three days investing our time listening to men of God pouring into us truths of God’s word pertaining the fact that one is saved by trusting in Jesus alone, that He died on the cross for our sins and rose from the dead. I thoroughly enjoyed these speakers—soaking in all the nuances and gaining wisdom and understanding from God’s word. Many of these men are heroes of mine. Speaker after speaker, workshop after workshop offered great counsel on the scriptures, defending it rightly, dividing it accurately, and demanding that we…well, I’m not quite sure.

At the end of one of the last sessions a speaker entertained a question from the audience. The questioner asked, “So, what can we do?” It was a great question—one I had in my mind, and probably one others had, as well. We had discussed the clarity of the gospel for three days. We had listened to papers read by hard-working pastors and authors dedicated to the simplicity of the gospel. We had heard another viewpoint on James chapter two. We had heard the state of the Free Grace Alliance movement, and its rift with the Grace Evangelical Society. But, we also heard about five minutes of “what we can do”.

You see, one man was invited to speak about the free online evangelism courses offered by EvanTell. The website, www.act111.org, is excellent—I went through it, and it has helped me incredibly in sharing the gospel with others. (No, this blog is not a commercial for EvanTell. They have no idea I’m writing this.) This one man was given about five minutes to talk about what was needed most…action.

At the beginning of this conference we were told we would not be grinding down doctrine for three days. And, for the most part, we didn’t. There were no splitting hairs over “what would happen if” theologies. It was all in very good taste—very, well, grace-oriented. Yet, at the end of the conference I felt I had sat through enough lectures that answers the question, “What is the gospel?” I must say, if we don’t know what the gospel is, how could we share it? So I’m not belittling the importance of this. But I do wonder if most, if not all, of us at the FGA conference in Dallas were there either because we knew well the free grace gospel, or because we needed to. OK, perhaps there could be a few who needed to become aware of the simplicity of the gospel. Perhaps those should be evangelized?

Which leads me to the answer to the question first presented, “So, what can we do?” The man who asked this question received his answer. Remember, we had enjoyed three days of great information on the gospel. I hope and pray my tone in this blog is not taken in any way except gratefulness for the Free Grace Alliance. However, I was disappointed in the answer received to our brother’s question, “So, what can we do?”

Recently, I attended another conference in Louisiana. The topic was the Emergent Church movement. I had researched some of the details of this movement but was still shocked as I heard more of the dynamics and dangers the Emergent Church is producing in churches in America. One thing that struck me was how active those within this movement are. At one time, to be “missional” was to spread the clear gospel of Jesus Christ to the nations, but this word has taken on a completely different meaning for the Emergent Church.

But “missional” is their way of life. It is their hands-on activity. It is the blood that flows through the veins, offering sustenance for their movement to continue forward.

They do things. They don’t just sit and devour information about their movement. They don’t grind down the tiniest details of their ideologies. They know their stuff. And they know that they know their stuff (whatever that stuff actually is), so they are out there plowing and spreading and planting and reaping.

Back in Dallas, at the Free Grace Alliance Conference, there were many workers at the hotel where the conference was held. During the three days of gospel information, I wonder if anyone shared this good news with any of those workers. I confess I did not. Only five minutes were given to one speaker who spurred us onward to proclaim this good news. It is good news.

I was one of the youngest at this conference. I am thirty-five years old. Most who attended had gray hair. The Emergent Church has a future. They thrive on the energy of college-age and young adults. Their question was answered. They know what to do. And they are busy doing it, albeit, an unbiblical doing.

I spent a couple hundred dollars attending this conference. It really was a great conference—worth every cent. I look forward to next year. I learned several new things. One thing I learned saddened me, though. The answer to the question, “So, what can we do?”

To which the speaker replied, “I don’t know.”

And the people there laughed. I am not laughing. I want to do something. I’m a young pastor of a church of approximately fifty people. My ministry is growing, and I’m learning so much. One thing I’ve learned is that very few Christians actually share the gospel with others. In fact, very few pastors do, and aren’t we supposed to be paid for doing this (tongue-in-cheek)? If it is good news, if it is worth spending a couple hundred dollars and three days in Dallas (no offense my Dallas friends), and if it requires certain necessary divisions such as the one between GES and FGA, then it must be worth sharing it with, at least, one waitress at the FGA banquet on Tuesday night. What about the clerks behind the desk at the hotel? It was a very nice hotel—I hope we get the same one next year.

What about the waiters at the Spring Creek Barbeque where we scarfed down ribs on Monday night? I didn’t even give them a tract. I must have passed by a hundred souls during my stay in Dallas, learning about the clarity of that which saves souls from Hell. In what am I more interested—taking this information to build my local church to a certain number, gaining new weapons to argue with my Calvinist friends, inheriting greater doctrinal knowledge, sell books, buy books, promote my ministry, or build the Kingdom of God.

Oh, the Kingdom. The plenary speaker at this conference was fantastic. He spoke of the Kingdom in such a way that opened my eyes to new motivations of righteous and gracious living. And the motivation to share this good news with others sank deep into my heart.

So, what can we do? “I don’t know” isn’t a good answer. Grant it, the speaker who replied with “I don’t know” was put on the spot, and I understand that. I might’ve replied with that, as well. Nonetheless, if the simplicity of the gospel is at stake, then souls are at stake. Then the glory of Christ is at stake. The glory of Christ is at stake. (Yes, I typed that sentence twice.) Because that is the foundation of what we were at the FGA Conference for—the gospel. His good news being received by lost persons because of energized believers who know the simple gospel and share it passionately, lovingly, graciously…the glory of Christ. It is at stake.

“I don’t know.”

Oh, again, I don’t blame that dear speaker. I’m quite fond of him, actually. He has passion—I saw it in his presentation. I just wonder if conferences like this are solving the problem of the glory of Christ is at stake. Maybe it is, but I’m just not convinced. What can we do?

In wrapping up this blog, I confess that “I don’t know” is mostly my answer, as well. But, I believe it has something to do with evangelism. That word is not just suited for VBS.

Websites for the above mentioned ministries:

www.act111.org

www.freegracealliance.com

2 comments:

infinity said...

-Um, LOL, I felt I should post a comment. I have been thinking a lot about this topic lately.

I think to most of us this question, "what do we do," seems rhetorical. We want people to hear the good news, to have a relationship with God and have their lives transformed. What do we do? We do nothing. So common and disgustingly honest.
Here I am sitting at my desk, waiting for a call to come at work, doing nothing for the "kingdom." I pray that my friends will come to know the saving Grace, but I do nothing. A fire burns within me that wants to do something but, "what do we do?"
I think that is the wrong question to be asking. Lets change it a little. "What do we need to do?"
Simple answer is to do God's will. What is his will? How can we take hold of something we haven't heard and can't feel. Recently I have come to believe that in order to "know" God's will we need to be reading the Bible. A book can reflect the heart, soul, and opinion of the writer and I believe that's what the Bible has done for us. It is a reflection of Christ's love for us and his will. He wants us to have a relationship with him and to help others to see him.
How? It is soooo hard to talk to people, especially strangers. It is sooo hard to know what to do or say when you are at the check out counter at Wal-Mart or going through the drive thru at Mcdonalds that we simply thank them and drive off.
I think God laughs at us sometimes. We struggle so much in everything that we do. How pathetic we are. We have the knowledge, we have his power and yet all we can do is wonder what to do. We study, go to seminary, and study some more but still wonder what to do. Pastors, leaders of the flock sit around and wonder what to do, afraid of denial.
God loves us and wants us to do his will.
Last month God made it abundantly clear what his answer is to what we should do.
Our pastor had a series on Jonah. I had the heard the story a million times. Jonah did not want to do God's will and fled, we know the rest, a fish swallowed Jonah, Jonah repented, this fish puked him out then Jonah went to Nineveh and the Ninevites were ALL spared.
What did Jonah do?? How can I have this power that an entire city is saved? What seminary do I have to go to? How much do I have to pray for this to occur? LOL!
All Jonah did was tell the Ninevites, "In forty days Ninevah shall be overthrown." Um? excuse me? This is your great evangelical sermon?
In answer to "what do we do?," I propose that we do nothing. We sit and study the Bible and really try to understand God and his love for us and others, then I propose that we ask ourselves, "what do we NEED to do?" What we need to do is have our hearts open to the prompting of the Holy Spirit, through meditation of the word, and simply talk to people. God prepares peoples hearts, we can do nothing in our own power to save anyone. Be friendly, talk to people, get to know them. If you don't know what to say then help them out wherever they need help. If you don't have time to talk (your at mcdonalds drive thru) then invite them to church or give them a tract! Maybe all they needed was someone to invite them to church. We don't know where people are at or what they need to hear. So many times I have thought to myself, I am soooo bored right now and want to do something... if anyone invites me to go ANYWHERE i will go just to entertain myself. I am sure people think similar thoughts.

-Allen

Scott said...

so - I to read the blog and gave it some thought - and then went through the comments on Facebook about the Shack. And after this year and being awoken to the sin that is within my heart (always been there - always been aware of it - but somehow filed it all under acceptable.)

There is a huge divide in the church - and I think it has probably always been there - I am not a church history buff - and typing the word "history" almost put me to sleep just then.

My experience this year is that the most support, encouragement and grace have come from brothers and sister who have crappy theology, specifically an emergent church proponent, Episcopalian, a Catholic and a Methodist or ten.

Bible believing independents like myself DO community service... we go on mission projects... we evangelize... we have conferences... we give... but if a smelly drunk or a homosexual walked in the door - y'all - admit it - we cringe. Even smelling cigarettes on folks has made me question someone's salvation... and if not their salvation their spiritual health.

The liberal folks have gotten dirty and cried with sinners….but they eventually go off the deep in with core beliefs.

I think one of the challenges of Evangelism is that chasm between us and them – conservatives don’t like to associate with Liberals OR hardened sinners. We forget we ARE sinners - we may say we are - but as long as we have most our bills paid, listen to Dave Ramsey, tithe and have an orderly house and vote Republican - we really think we are all pretty darn good folks - and frankly don't want to get dirty and - ouch - waste our time when we can tell even if they accept Christ... they probably won’t grow - their life probably won't change... they will still be divorced, smoke, and may never have a decent budget - so … if they aren't going to grow up and be just like Dave Rams... I mean Jesus... why bother??

Those of us with decent theology have a serious chip on our shoulders - we won't hold hands with "those" denominations... and we will only get dirty if it can be on a slide show that demonstrates our commitment to “dirty” people. And let’s admit it – the mission pictures are always better with shoeless people who are browner than we are (ouch!)

The view from where I am standing (with my halo a little tarnished) is that the liberal churches and those with horrible theology are better at showing grace but their belief system quickly spirals down. The conservative folks have strong theology but overall - we as a group - in general - we seem to be a little "puffed up" and ministry is useless to us... unless the recipients will grow up to be a one of us.
I am not saying we need to become more liberal - but are we man enough to see what they might be getting right?

Proverbs says "bad company corrupts good morals" True but stop hiding behind it – and stop hiding behind “ do not cast your pearls before swine”… Scripture doesn't say - never go to a bar - never go to a Bingo Hall - never go to a lodge - never go to an open bar wedding - never go to those places in town where everyone seems to have red eyes from whatever vice has them captive.

We are a prideful bunch of folk that don't like to admit that we ARE one of them - and in our arrogance we may be worse than them.

so... to answer your question... What do we do?

Let’s keep our theology – heck – let’s keep our conservative zeal – but dude – let’s get a little dirty and not vomit at the sight of a little filth – are we that frail?